Building a sustainable community food system takes a lot of work and a lot of people. Your help as an engaged citizen is imperative to making a difference in Dane County. There are plenty of ways you can support and strengthen our community food system:
- Grow your own. Start a garden in the backyard or join a community garden. Donate extra produce to food pantries or learn to preserve.
- Teach children the importance of eating healthy. Plant a garden with your children and watch your food grow. Cook and prepare foods together. Develop family rituals around eating.
- Learn. Follow blogs, read articles, attend meetings, do whatever you can to stay current in the food system conversation. Share what you learn with others.
- Volunteer and get involved with one of the many food related organizations or a local food pantry. You can also volunteer to work on an initiative for the food council.
- Advocate for healthy school food. Ask your local PTA or food services director about purchasing local food for your cafeteria. Support Farm to School programs.
- Shop locally and eat sustainably. Support your local food economy by joining a CSA and shopping at farmers’ markets, co-ops and independent producers and retailers. Dine at restaurants that feature good food.
- Waste Less. Buy only what you need and can use. Select food with minimal packaging and recycle. Take along reusable bags and containers. Pack waste free lunches and bring your own water bottle. Compost kitchen scraps.
- Support Farmers. Purchase products that guarantee the rights of farm and food workers and fair prices for farmers.
- Engage. Attend a Food Council meeting. Tell us about an issue we should tackle. Contact your representatives at all levels of government and ask them to support programs and legislation that will bring more healthy food to your area. During election times, keep food issues in mind when you vote.
- Serve on the Food Council. If you are interested in serving on the Dane County Food Council and would like to be considered for appointment, please complete the online application. Citizen members are appointed by the Chairs of the Environment, Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee and the Extension Committee. Regularly visit our website. Sign up for our email list serv. Follow us on Facebook.